Show Your Love, Save A Life ideas to benefit March of Dimes
Thursday, January 26, 2017
There are many ways to raise money for March of Dimes during Show Your Love, Save A Life. We're providing a few ideas to get you thinking.
- Purple treats- Do you have any aspiring chefs in your club? Now is their time to shine. Use their talents to use and bake up some goodies to sell. Decorate them with purple frosting and sprinkles. Sell the treats in a high traffic area on campus. Check out this adorable cupcake idea from Lindsay Weiss of SugarMamaCooks.Com
- Pound auction- Hold a Pound Auction at a club meeting in February. Every person brings something weighing a pound. It can be candy, treats, sugar, rocks… as long as it weighs a pound. The item must be wrapped so members do not know what they are bidding on during the auction. Members bid on the wrapped items. The highest bidder wins the item and should unwrap it at that time to show the others what they won.
- Design a Piggy Bank- Work with a local paint your own pottery studio and invite other organizations on campus to join in and decorate a piggy bank. Once the piggy banks have been fired by the studio, display them in a high traffic area on campus. Passersby will vote for their favorite design. 1 penny = 1 vote. The winning pig is the one that collects the most donations. The money from the pigs is donated to March of Dimes and the winning organization wins a prize or bragging rights.
- Souper Bowl for Babies- Everyone knows the Super Bowl is huge sporting event. Why not play off that event and host your own Souper Bowl for Babies? Instead of touchdowns, attendees score a bowl of soup, bread, salad and dessert. Set fees for individual meals and family meals. Work with a variety of local restaurants to obtain food donations- be sure to give those participating restaurants publicity at your event. But the event isn't just about eating, it's also about selling special soup bowls at a silent auction at your event. Work with the art department on campus or with a local pottery studio to create soup bowls for the silent auction. Ask local artists to paint a bowl to be auctioned off as well. Plan entertainment for the event, too. Be sure to promote the Souper Bowl For Babies to the community and provide information about March of Dimes to those attending your event.
- Mile of Dimes Campaign- To set up your Mile of Dimes, measure out 5,280 feet of ribbon (which equals one mile.) Be creative with your ribbon and place it in a unique shape, such as the March of Dimes logo or spiral shape, or simply place the ribbon in a straight line. Then, have donors place their dimes side by side on the surface of the ribbon. After the ribbon is filled up, give yourself a BIG pat on the back because you’ve raised over $9,000 towards lifesaving research for babies!
Sell Valentine’s Day Cards-Everyone loves giving and receiving Valentine's Day cards. Create a card template with the March of Dimes logo and sell them to raise money for the campaign. The great thing about Valentine's Day cards are that they can be given to a significant other, friend or family member. Plan to sell the cards a couple of weeks before Valentine’s Day as well as the day before and on February 14. Additional ideas to boost your card selling: Create a Valentine's Day-themed photo booth. Ask a club member to lend a camera and some cool props, as well as a high quality printer. The snapshots will be amazing and cool memories for everyone.